Saturday 29 September 2007

Down a Country Lane

Recently I was lucky enough to be given this old embroidered picture. It was worked by a relative of mine sometime in the early 1960's. The image would have been ironed onto the fabric from an embroidery transfer, as was usual at that time.
The stitching may have been slightly squashed by the glass, but I don't think that detracts from the picture.
At first glance it seems almost naively done, but if you look at the way the walls and thatching have been filled in with solid stitching, I think that shows real skill.
And just look at the flowers!

I think it's a lovely vintage piece, and the family connection makes it extra special.
These are my pink and brown blocks so far:


Really it's pink, brown and cream/beige. I've also put in some pale yellow to "act" as cream. The pattern I'm using is called Tintype by Liberty Star. It won't be very big, only 30 x 40 inches. A nice size for what is really an exercise in colour. These will be 5 inch blocks.



The weather has been a lot cooler here in the last couple of weeks. I like that sense of a new start that comes in September, and it's so nice to wear something cosy and be comfortable.
This creeper grows up the front of our house. We have to cut it back to some extent every year, so it doesn't get too high and start growing on the roof. In September before the leaves fall, the colour changes from green to bright pinky-red.