Saturday 31 May 2008

Knitted Cushy-ness

There was a time I thought I'd never pick up knitting needles again, and that was when I discovered quilting fabrics. Sewing is still my main "thing", but knitting and crochet seem to have a much more positive vibe now than they did 15 years ago, with more and different creative possibilities.
And there's something about the warmth of the wool and the rhythm of working that's very calming. In my case, that can only be a good thing!

This cushion (pillow) cover was inspired by a pattern for a throw in the book Pretty Knits by Susan Cropper. I would consider some of the garment patterns in this book to be a bit on the girly side for me, but many of the home and accessories patterns are very nice.
Rather than knit a whole throw, I made a sort of "cushion version" of the throw, using the same stitches but to fit a 16 inch cushion pad.

The cover itself is Rowan Pure Wool Aran. The lovely pale blue shade is called Cloud. The flowers are made from oddments of dk that I already had.
The front is just a square and the back is 2 rectangles.

The crocheted thing in a rather muddy green you can see in the picture is a throw I made last year. This is the ensemble for my blue sofa, including the quilt. Maybe I could squeeze on some more cushions?