Thursday 19 March 2009

Stripes

I finished my striped blanket at last. I did a couple of rows of white around the edge, then for the outer picot edging I borrowed an idea from quiltmaking and used leftovers from the stripes to make a multicoloured "binding".

This way I was able to use up ends of wool which were only a few feet long, while continuing the stripe theme in a different way.
Thinking of doing it like this really was a lightbulb moment, and I'm very pleased with the effect.
The finished size is about 46" x 44", and the yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. This isn't budget yarn, but it is truly gorgeous.

You don't need a pattern to make a blanket like this. It's basically just stripes, which can be as wide or as narrow as you like, and you can make it any size. All you need is a basic knowledge of crochet.
Any good beginners' book will tell you how to construct crochet in rows, but you do need to make the foundation chain loosely.
If anyone would like details of the very simple picot edging, I've written up how I did it in the post below.

I really enjoyed making this blanket, and now I almost feel sad that it's finished! Do you ever feel that slight sense of loss when you finish a long-term project you've enjoyed?