Tuesday 28 April 2009

Violas

I thought it would be fun to make a short string of simple small flowers to use as a spring decoration. I had in mind something small-scale and understated, in soft spring colours.
I used the crocheted Viola pattern from 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet and made a dozen, joining the flowers together as I went, making the join at the point of finishing off each flower. This flower is a bit fiddly to make, but after the first few I found I was getting through them quite quickly.
Some leaves at either end enhance the flowers, and serve as a connection between the garland and the chain ends.

I intended it to hang swag-style from a shelf, but when it was finished I thought something like this could also be used as an edging for something, a runner for example. Click on the photos to see the detail.

I used all 4 ply weight yarns of various brands and a 2.50mm hook.

Hope you're enjoying the spring!